Since mordekaizer seems to be a problem to many players, and many consider him OP; I've dediced to write down my ways of countering him.
In this guide, I'Il start off discussing some general strategies, and then move on to discussing some specific lineups that work or don't work for me. Since I can only describe the champions I play, input of community members is appreciated.
Edit: Thank you for the responses I'm getting. Obviously, there are more champions that work than the ones I've described. If you have a working lane setup against mordekaizer that isn't included in this guide yet, feel free to add a comment. Do include some specific reasons as to why your setup works, else there's not that much use in including your contribution to this post.
Who is Mordekaizer?
Mordekaizer is a melee caster champion that deals sustained AoE magic damage. His passive "shield" ability combined with his w ability give him good sustainability and some inherent beefyness.
His ultimate ability is a single target DoT. If the champion he uses this ability on dies, he temporarily gets control over a ghost of said champion, which has enhanced stats, but cannot use skills.
1. Game Mechanics and general tactics
- His passive refils his shield when he deals damage. Since his spells are AoE, it is not wise to fight him un bulked up groups or in the midst of your minions.
- He is at his strongest starting in the late early game, and through the midgame. Be careful when fighting him in these phases.
- As with all champions, don't pick fights unruned. Tier 3 runes are a must when fighting him. I see a lot of qq coming from unruned players. This is stupid.
- A common Mordekaizer tactic is to push your lane hard. If you can't lasthit under your turret well, this will leave you behind in farm, unless you can push back equally hard. This is a valid tactic and will make you end up with an equal amount of farm. This is good, if you scale into lategame better than him.
- Take note of his build. Most mordekaizers go anywhere between full defensive items and full AP items. The more his build leans towards tanky, the more you should ignore him. The more AP he gets, the more of a priority target he becomes.
2. Item counters
- The most powerful thing a Mordekaizer can do lategame is get a carry or physical damage offtank's ghost. Therefore, it is imperative that these champions buy a Quicksilver Sash when fighting him. It removes the effects of his ultimate.
- Buying magic resist is obviously always a good idea against ennemies that deal magic damage. Just remember that both increasing health and magic resist work. A good balance will give you the best effect for the least money. Banshee's Veil is a good item against him, especially for casters who don't need the QSS active so much.
- As said before, the most dangerous thing he can do now is get a ghost of your fed carry. Thus, make sure your carry spends some cash getting a QSS
- He has to get into a reasonably close range to use his skills. This combined with his lack of escaping abilities make silences effective against him. He is a second priority target to be silenced, after champions with channeled spells.
- Make sure your team has some cc. Silences, fears, taunts or stuns **** him over. He is good at sustained fights, but cannot do much if he gets nuked down due to not having burst damage reduction and a lack of escape abilities.
- Avoid lumping up. Spreading around him is the easyest way to beat him. The less people he can hit at once, the worse for him. Sustained fights are his niche, so IF you choose to fight him on his own grounds, at least don't give him an even bigger advantage by balling up.
I added several lineups that work or don't. It's important to realize that not everybody can beat everybody. Mordekaizer is a strong laner, so not all lanes can do well against him.
He is mainly feared because he works well in the current meta: he is good at fighting tanky dps champions and offtanks. Which is what he generally has to fight.
It's doable, but certainly not my favorite lane.
- Akali is a burst champion with reasonable sustainability through spellvamp. She does not perform well in sustained fights however, and these must be avoided at all costs.
- Lasthit creeps with your Q, and avoid his E!
- Try to nuke him down when he is at his weakest, with your full potential nuke (mark him, wait till your mark recharges, go in, activate 2 marks consecutively).
- The correct time to nuke him is either when he has killed your minions, or when he is separated from them. This allows you to jump in, deal your maximum damage combo, and jump out again towards an ennemy minion.
- Nuking him will probabely not kill him from full health. This is not a problem. If you can push him out of the lane, you succeed
- Personally, I like rushing a Hextech Revolver or even Hextech Gunblade against tankyer champions with akali. It gives her better sustain, which I feel she needs when 1 rotation doesn't kill.
It's impossible, if the mordekaizer is any good.
- Mordekaizer's range is greater than yours. You cannot get a good tradeoff from harassment, and you almost can't nuke him. You'll go oom trying to get his health down.
This should be well doable!
- You outrange Mordekaizer and have good nukes. You can harass him!
- Since he has to get close, try to stun him after using your E, to THEN follow up with pillar of flame. This deals maximum damage, and he cannot prevent the massive pillar damage due to being stunned.
- If it goes wrong, you are still a great powerfarmer and should be able to at least go on par with him by just powerfarming and retreating.
Caitlyn (thx to Kevinizer)
Zone control ftw
- Yordle Snap Trap combined with a long attack range gives you great zone control. In the sidelanes, you can use the traps combined with your passive to control the brush, which is away from your minions.
- Don't focus on trying to kill him, focus on farming. You're an AD carry, you scale better off of gold than he does! If you can kill him however, don't hesitate to do so.
This lane is yours if you don't screw up
- Fiddlesticks has everything mordekaizer hates. Morde has NO way of stopping drain, so levelling it is an o.k. idea.
- Be careful of ignite! Back off instantly when he ignites you. Not doing so is what I meant by screwing up.
AP Gragas has the disadvantage against mordekaizer. But gragas doesn't have to lose...
- Focussing on Gragas' W and E gives you more damage output than mordekaizer. Combined with the sustainability of your passive, you can actually beat him toe to toe.
- Use your passive and health pots to shrug off ignite and his ultimate. You can go low, but you can survive.
- This setup has brought me several wins, but generally due to the element of surprise. Nobody plays gragas any other way than full AP, because Shushei only played him AP at dreamhack.
This lane is well doable.
- You outrange and outdamage him. The problem is the shield. Health pots and a quick Hextech Revolver / WoTA will get you going!
- You can lasthit better than him. If things go wrong, you can afford to play defensively and still turn out good.
You cannot lose this lane!
- Rumble fulfills the same role as mordekaizer, but better. His damage is WAY higher, his sutainability is comparable, and he has some utility in his slows, which morde doesn't.
- Rumble WILL beat mordekaizer in sustained fights, so pick them! Go in with your flamespitter on and force him to back off, be agressive!
- Use your passive. Stay above 50% heat to maximize damage. Above 50% heat, your flamespitter deals more damage than an equally levelled mordekaizer siphon AND the shield mordekaizer gets from it combined.
This lane is a bit stalemate. You'll have to be alert!
- You have the early game disadvantage, but lategame advantage.
- Your root can keep him at bay, but it can't stop him from regenerating his shield. If you can land it on an out of position mordekaizer, you're in a good postion though!
- You can use your ultimate for lane sustain. Against mordekaizer, this is good as you roll into the lategame better anyway.
Not a fun lane. Morde will ppb win.
- Mordekaizer has the edge over singed. I do not recommend this lane.
This is interesting...
- Swain is specifically built to disable single targets. His ultimate gives him good sustainability too.
- Using your normal combo when he gets close, in which you try to maximize your damage obviously, you have a good chance of outdamaging him.
- Your biggest danger is going out of mana. I suggest some more mana pots than you'd normally get. Or getting a blue buff handed to you. Thus, swain is a great counterpick against mordekaizer if you're on the blue team.
My personal ranged AD pick against mordekaizer
- Mordekaizer generally has the edge over AD carries in lane. Tristana however has significant burst early game, and also has nasty cc once she hits level 6.
- Tristana CAN outdamage a Mordekaizer, or defeat one if you can knock him into a turret after a jump+flash. It IS however difficult for her to kill a Morde.
- As the laning phase continues, the advantage shifts more and more towards you thanks to your passive. It's not a problem if you have trouble early game.
- The real strength lies in the fact that if you and Mordekaizer leave the lane with the same stats, you win. You're a carry, you evolve so much more with gold than he does. And your farming capibilities are amazing. You can actually counterpush to him due to explosive shot's passive.
The great crabgot, winner of every lane.
- If you need a specific guide on how to win a lane with urgot, I suggest quitting urgot.
Don't do it!
- Vlad is a sustained damage caster. He wins lanes by spamming low damage spells which heal him. The problem is, they don't damage mordekaizer due to his shield, and mordekaizer's spells deal more damage than vlad's. They also have the same / a bigger range.
As mentioned, silence works wonders against mordekaizer.
Garen looks like he'd work.
I've also fed to an aggressive Xin as Morde solo top. Once he reached 4 I was dead.
great mini-guide. I hope a few people learn something.
Swain is weak vs people who can put up shields and apart from his snare he is short range. I've only outplayed Mordekesair with jungle help; Swain is my main.
Cait works too... Get yordle traps at lvl 1, dominate ur Bush and sit in it to get more headshots and harrass constantly... Only do last hits on minions
But I will add her!
|All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:02 PM.|
(c) 2008 Riot Games Inc