Well, I managed to get it all working and such, and there are major flaws in the OP's guide.
For example, the extractor he used truncates the files to be extracted, thus giving the error about certain files not being found. Also, because there may be multiple sound clips per event instance, you'll end up with only one sound-clip thanks to the truncation.
I got done my Quake/Unreal modification, and I think I'm just going to eventually start a thread with a working guide and/or resources for those interested. There's just too much that's not working in this thread. (Sorry OP, no disrespect.. you help a lot in getting me started, if anything, and I'm thankful for that)