The client is wasting ressources!
The game performance after the Riven patch was just plain horrible. It was caused by the client doing **** while playing a match. Some of the latest mini patches seems to have fixed this issue for most people, but some people seem to still have that problem.
And if that problem is fixed, it's still a general problem: Why does the client do *anything* while playing a match?
1. Get Process Explorer from Sysinternals(Microsoft)
2. Start a match
3. Alt tab out of the loading screen
4. Start Process Explorer
5. Find the 3 processes from LoL that are not League of Legends
6. Right click each of them and suspend them
7. Close Process Explorer
8. Go back to the loading screen
9. Before clicking continue after the mach, undo the changes(resume the 3 processes)
Which processes??? WTF?
rad_user_kernel.exe (<- not needed while playing a match)
- LoLLauncher.exe (<- not needed while playing a match)
- - LolCient.exe (<- not needed while playing a match)
- - League of Legends.exe (<- this is the actual game, do not suspend this!)
Make the game suspend the processes that are not used. When a process is running, it's using CPU time (-> slowing down the game) and it's actually using its memory(-> the "unused" memory can't be moved completely to the virtual memory on low memory systems).
Reading **** from HDD while the game is running and the system has ENOUGH memory
There's no reason for the game to read from the following files:
(the files might be changed now, it's always the most recent VOBank_en_US.fsb and 2 others)
over and over again, but the game does it anyways. HDDs slow, RAM fast...
Does this really need to be explained better?
If somebody want to check this for himself, get ProcessMonitor from Sysinternals(Microsoft), and run it while the game is running. You should see what i mean then.
The files are not accessed if all audio is disabled. With all audio set to mute each and master volume, the files are accessed. So the audio code is messed up!
Defrag the HDD to ensure the files are read as fast as possible. Some defragmenting tools allow to defrag single files(WinContig), so the above files can be targeted alone. This makes the defrag(which is required after every update) faster and it also allows to check if the files could be defragmented.
USE THE MEMORY! The audio code is the culprit, get to work already!
Certain skills and events lag the game
Known examples are:
Malzahar's 1st voidling
"Welcome to Summoner's Rift"
The 1st tower shot
Opening the shop for the 1st time
Playing with only 16 Bit color depth is not possible
In theory 16 Bit colors should require less video memory, and increase the video performance slightly. So it would be nice if it was possible.
Actually it is possible to edit a config file to "force" the game to run with 16 Bit colors. But there's no performance gain, and it causes some bug. The recall bar and the health bar at the bottom(not the one over your head) are always displayed as full.
Update: It's not possible to force 16 Bit colors anymore. When trying this the game crashes with a bug splat.
Some comment would be nice.
H A C K S
Open the game.cfg in
1. There are options you can't change in the GUI, but that are saved in the config file.
changing the values of these 2 might change something, maybe not. Possible values should only be 1 and 0.
2. There are a few more hidden options(hacks...) in that file you can mess around with. Add [Hacks] to the end of the file and then add one or more of the following options:
The 1st 2 should change some compatiblity stuff, i forgot if =0 or =1 is the more compatible setting, just try both for both. The 3rd one is supposed to make the game log less, since logging is useless anyways.
General tips to increase the performance:
- Set all detail settings to lowest, disable the shadows, disable wait for vsync, set the fps to benchmark
- Disable all sounds and music from the game you don't need. (for me it's only the background music i wouldn't miss)
- Disable all autostart programs that are not required(uninstalling programs that don't run at all is a waste of time). This also includes not required windows services, but only if they are really not used.
- Before playing close all programs that are not used. Especially any p2p software needs to be closed.
- Use cable based and not wireless network. Less connection problems and a much more stable ping are very desirable for any online game
- Defrag the HDD(see above)
- Suspend the not needed processes(see above)