Originally Posted by Lyte
Recently, we collected a lot of community feedback on matchmaking.
I have isolated down a list of issues with matchmaking, and I would love to discuss these with the community as we drive towards some meaningful solutions. Please vote in the poll and join in the discussion!
These are issues I have identified from dialogue with the community. Fixing many of these issues will take some time!
I will update the discussion as we develop solutions and have better ETAs.
--- Progress ---
1) Intentional Queue Dodging in Ranked to lower their Elo to stomp low Elo players
We are revising the penalty for queue dodging in Ranked Mode. We intend to remove a player's ability to intentionally queue dodge from Ranked Mode and tank their Elo.
--- List of Issues ---
1) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby
Players who queue up for a match and then AFK force players to wait through the timers until the lobby boots the AFK players out. Alternatively, some players AFK and get assigned a Random Champion, which is also a negative experience for many players. In Ranked Games, Captains tend to see what the bans/picks are like and be able to react accordingly in the next lobby as the players will generally be the same.
2) Duo-Queue Elo Disparities in Ranked
When players play as a Duo-Queue in Ranked, they generally have an advantage if their Elos are fairly close. However, when players play as a Duo-Queue in Ranked and their Elos are far apart, they generally are at a disadvantage.
3) Skilled Ranked Players in Normal Modes
For a very small subset of highly skilled Ranked Players, their Ranked Elo is vastly higher than their Normal Elo. When these skilled Ranked Players play a Normal Game they generally play against opponents that are much lower in skill, resulting in lopsided matches.
4) Premade Matching
Currently, the matchmaking system tries to match Premade 5s with Premade 5s; however, we may consider prioritized matching for other Premade types. For example, prioritizing Premade 4s to match with Premade 4s, and finding a solo queue to fill out each team.
5) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode
Currently, we do not do a great job of educating players on the transition from Normal to Ranked Modes. What would players like to see here? What should the expectations of Ranked be? For example, Ranked could be "Bring your best, every single game!"
6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode
Related to the transition from Normal to Ranked Mode, some players feel that you should only be able to play Champions you own in Ranked Mode. The argument is that a lot of players who use Free to Play Champions are inexperienced with those champions, adding a lot of noise in the matchmaking system.
7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode
Some players feel that you should not be able to "Random" a Champion in Ranked Play, and that this feature is used to intentionally troll their team in some use cases.
8) Provisional Matches in Ranked
When a player joins Ranked for the first time, the system starts them at 1200 Elo and begins their "placement matches." Unlucky strings of losses or lucky streaks of wins can propel a player into an Elo tier they do not belong in. Alternatively, players generally do not like playing with or against players in their placement matches and seeing they have only 1-9 wins.
9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked
Currently, it is possible to get two pairs of Duo-Queue Players per team in Ranked Mode, such that you have a team composed of Duo-Queue, Duo-Queue, and a Solo-Queue. Some data suggests that we should restrict the number of Duo-Queues per team to 1.
10) Level Disparities
Some players feel that as a low level, they should never be matched against Level 30s because they feel the match is unfair due to Level 30 rune/mastery advantages. Although these players are highly skilled low levels, they would prefer a different solution than facing an opponent with simply 'stronger stats.'
11) Team Margin of Victory
Some players argue that in epic, close matches, teams should not gain or lose the exact same Elo as a lopsided match. What are good metrics for "team margin of victory" that are focused on promoting team play and not individual performances?
1) Get rid of the random champion thing. If someone afk's to the point where it would assign a random champ, kick them from the game and don't allow them to join another ranked game for 4 hours.
2) Get rid of duo queuing completely in ranked. Solo queue should be for SOLO QUEUING.
3) People complaining about this is ridiculous. Do nothing about this because it's not worth your time.
4) That would be a good idea. Can't hinder people's ability to play with their friends in normal games. Matching premades with other premades is a good idea. It's going to suck for the solo queuer if they get paired with a 4 man premade that sucks, but you can't really do much about that. Since this would only concern normal games, i would put this on low priority.
5) I believe you guys implemented a champ requirement of 16 owned champions or something like that before you're allowed to play ranked. I suggested that a long time ago and GREATLY appreciate it. I do, however, think that the number should be increased to 20 champs. I would also like to add that there should be a number or normal game win requirements. There are far too many people who level up playing against bots these days. These people have been playing for months. They have literally hundreds of coop vs ai games, but hardly any normal games played. These types of players could potentially or should i say easily meet the champ requirement to play in ranked, however there are no amount of coop vs ai games that can be played that will prepare a player for ranked. The reason for this are that bots are good during the lane phase, but that's it. They don't travel as a group and they are extremely predictable. The randomness of playing against real people is the only way they are going to be ready to play in ranked games, where people are playing to win and at least to the best of their ability, are trying to follow the current meta.
6) I think free to play champs are should not be allowed. I know there are some people who have been playing the game for so long that they've played certain champs enough times throughout the various free weeks to become pretty proficient with them, however for the sake eliminating the possibility of someone playing a free champ "just to try them out" in a ranked game, the option should be removed. A player who wants to test his skills with a certain champ in a ranked game should have to earn that right by putting in the time or money to purchase the champion.
7) choosing random during champ select should be removed from ranked. It does absolutely nothing to help the team and will only cause conflict within the team before the game even starts.
8) Provisional matches should be removed from ranked. It really does nothing but totally screw people over or put people into an elo where they don't belong. I have seen people in this game who have a negative win/loss ratio yet they are 1500 elo. That is just utterly disgusting. The only thing that provisional matches do is help people who have skilled/high elo friends carry them to an elo where they don't belong as quickly as possible. Best to just get rid of it. Normal elo gain/loss will have people ending up in the same place eventually. It will just take longer.
9) Disallowing duo queue from ranked games will eliminate this problem entirely. It doesn't make sense for people to be able to duo queue in SOLO Queue.
10) You guys have the formula on how people are matched. I'd say if someone was winning a whole **** load of their games and they and they're completely dominating the other team, then they should be put against level 30's who are on lose streak or who are considered less skilled. Their level advantage would be their crutch for their lack of skill against an opponent who is potentially more skillful, but has less levels.
11) This one would be pretty difficult to figure out. I feel that it's just a petty complaint for something that's extremely minor. I would think that the only way one could determine if the game was a close, epic game is by how long it took to end. By being someone who's not high elo, i usually notice that the games that take forever to end are usually because:
If you're on the winning side: you have 1 or 2 bad players on your team and they either 1) don't know what they're doing or 2) don't listen or 3) BOTH.
If you're on the losing side: because the other team has 1 or 2 bad players on their team, you're able to hold out for a very long time, however the other 3 or 4 decent players on the other team are too strong for you to turn the game around.
In any case i think this issue is extremely minor and should be put on the back burner if anything.
Just my 99cents on the subject.