Originally Posted by Youmu Will Fight
Need beefcake items! A real, balanced riven build generally has the offensive/defensive hybrid items. Frozen Mallet, Maw of Malmortius. Riven, whilst strong, is still just a fighter. In competitive play champions like Riven have the job to run and gun it, dealing as much chaos as possible for the ADC to clean up. If she manages to score a kill or two from it then so be it.
1. Everything Riven has scales off AD, including her shield
. If you're not prioritizing damage on her you're just doing it wrong.
2. If your goal is just to disrupt in the middle of a team fight you're playing the wrong champion - play Maokai, Shen, Malphite, etc.
3. Riven's core items are a Bloodthirster and Guardian Angel because she's extremely aggressive and wants to do as much damage as possible with that chaos.
4. Her mobility lets her dash in and out when necessary. Why bother with 3+ defensive items when her kit gives you the ability to avoid damage already?
5. She is item reliant. Again, if you're just trying to disrupt for your AD carry pick Amumu or something.