Originally Posted by lcizzleIc
This post makes me laugh every time I see it.
"Burden of Knowledge"
This game and genre is based on Burden of Knowledge to even be proficient at playing it.
- Knowledge of Champions, positions, playstyles, mechanics
- Knowledge of Champion stats, skills and scaling
- Knowledge of Champions and their counter picks
- Knowledge of Items
- Knowledge of Items in relation to champions stats and scaling
- Knowledge of Items in relation to the items the other team is buying and what you should or should not buy
- Knowledge of the team or players you are playing against
- Knowledge of the map
- Knowledge of positions and meta
- Knowledge of netural creeps, camps, buffs, timers
- Knowledge of quarks and bugs that hinder or inadvertently improve game play.
A moba is based on Burden of Knowledge but you do not want to make creative skills because they might cause the player to use their brain a little to use it properly?
Yet some of the most basic skills in this game carry Burden of Knowledge whether you intended it or not.
- Smart casting locking up Anne's Q
- Jarvan EQ combo can still knock up people if you flash past the pole while moving to it.
- Skarnar's Old Ultimate
- Singe flinging people that flash
- Volibear flinging people that flash
- Jayce knocking people 300 feet in the opposite direction after flashing away
- Darius, getting dunked after flashing away
It is some what hard to take advise or "design guidelines" from a designer when his/her game violates said rules so heavily.
indeed - i guess they learned over time though that they really can't keep pumping out new champs every couple of weeks without adding more layers.
it is funny though that this was the initial anti-dota pro-league post. would be nice if a red would shine light on their newer thought process because it's pretty obvious that a lot of their old principles were abandoned. and let's face it when you develop something sometimes you realize that complexity is never added for complexity's sake but for an extra layer of balance.
i cant think of how many new champs come out, kill you with a move and you think "wtf he does THAT?"
and lol at the rupture comparison when this game has tons of small 'features' from different attack animations, cast times, missile speeds, etc. that you only have to LOOK UP to learn.