Digital Art Contest FAQ
How will winners be picked?
After being screened for eligibility and meeting the basic requirements, each entry will be judged based on three categories: Quality, Content, and Impact. Throughout the sorting and final judging process, we will be asking ourselves these kinds of questions:
- Quality: How detailed is the submission? How high-quality is the rendering? Does the submission make great use of lighting and color, and present them with clarity? What additional interactions or details can be found within the artwork?
- Content: Are the characters portrayed in a clever or creative way? How are the S3 items incorporated into the piece? What makes this piece stand out among others in terms of the content itself?
- Impact: Does this piece leave a lasting impression on the viewer? Are the themes presented appropriate for an audience of all ages? Does this piece accomplish the goal of showing champions truly “training” for Season 3, or does it require explanation to be understood?
After the sorting process is finished, a panel of Riot artists will sit down for an in-person judging meeting to narrow down the finalists and choose our winners.
How will I be notified if I win?
We’ll contact the winners via the email address provided when entering the contest. If you made an error and submitted your entry with an incorrect email address, resubmit your entire entry with the correct address.
I made a mistake in my entry, or decided to update the artwork with even more detail! Can I reenter?
Yes! Feel free to resubmit your entry if you made errors or need to update us with the latest version.
Am I required to use a set dimension for my entry?
No. You can create your entries in a portrait, landscape orientation, or whatever else suits your fancy! As an absolute minimum, please do not reduce the width or height of your piece to less than 500px (1:6 ratio).
How do I save my entry in the required format before I submit it?
1) First, save the original copy of your artwork in its original format
2) In Photoshop (slight software differences depending on the application), go to Image > Image Size
3) Adjust the height or width of your artwork to 3000 pixels and make sure the constrain proportions box is checked, or the chain link is connected.
4) Then, go to File > Save As and change the file format to JPEG in the dropdown menu.
5) For convenience, please name the file with your summoner name and region.
Do items that have been radically changed from Season 2 to Season 3 count as “Season 3 items”?
No. Only items under "New Items" at our preseason site will count under making your entry meet the requirements.
What do you mean by portraying a champion “training” for season 3?
We want you to show us how your favorite champions are preparing for competing in the new season. How did Dr. Mundo get so strong? Where do Teemo’s mushrooms come from? It’s up to you to show us your creativity in a meaningful way!
If I scan in my traditional art, can it still be eligible for the contest?
As long as your art is two-dimensional and fits the technical requirements, your entry will still be eligible. However, we’ll judge your artwork with by the standards we set for all of the other digital art we receive. In many cases, scanned or photographed artwork loses a great deal of quality in the process and needs to be touched up or enhanced digitally to look presentable. If this is your preferred method of creating art, we encourage you to hone your skills at finishing your piece digitally before sending it to us!