Problems with playing tank classes:
1) they get KSed way to often (not that this is a problem if it's a carry but most times it isn't even a carry)
2) 2/3 times when they initiate teamies will back out (leaving them to get mauled)
3) everyone fires off their ulti on them.
1) Who cares about being KS? Some extra gold helps, but.
2) Communication it key in LOL. Make sure you are going in on fights you can win. Tanks can kill a team by going in and bringing his friends to die!
3) If everyone fires off their ult on the tank that is awesome!!! Have your teammates go in for the win!
Malphite is still a descent hero. The problem is that he and Amumu were the only top tier tanks played through the end of beta and beginning of October. He was nerfed three patches in a row.