If you're hopping onto Dominion, you want to be sure you follow these 10 steps to have a successful game.
1. Strategize before the game starts. Everything happens so quickly, you want to make sure your team knows what to do, as the fast-paced game play rarely allows for constant text communication like in Summoner's Rift.
2. Travel in groups. It can be tempting to backdoor an undefended capture point all by yourself, but thanks to the quick recall and easy mobility around the map, what might begin as a sneaky attack, may turn into a 1v3-4 situation.
3. DO THE QUESTS. Even if you only have two points in your control, completing the quests as a team of 5 or 4 at least will allow the buff to be shared by most of your team, and naturally the quests can change the tide of the game quite rapidly.
4. Survive. Just like in Summoner's Rift, over extending yourself in a chase or dive can really put your team at a disadvantage. Play smart and stay alive. Even though the penalties are lower, dying can still be a hard blow against your team's control of the map.
5. Keep a clear head. Because Dominion moves so quickly, its easy to find yourself away from a turret and alone in the jungle. Remember that a lot of Classic fundamentals still apply.
6. Beefy team composition. Dominion really demands champs who can take a hit or two, and if your team is conventionally composed of an ap range, an ad carry etc. you may find yourself spending lots of gold on survivability items, whereas a balance really should be found between offensive and defensive items.
7. The Flash dilemma. In Summoner's Rift, flash was pretty standard for most everyone. But because of the layout of the Crystal Scar and basic gameplay, flash may not be the best way to spend your Summoner Spells. Consider ghost and the new additions to SS before you pick flash straight away.
8. Pack a Garrison or two. The new SS Garrison is invaluable when defending a capture point. When two or more enemy champions come to cap one of your points, even if you stop them/kill them, if they've managed to wear down your point's health, it's that much easier for them to return and finish the job. However, Garrison will regen your point back to full health. Likewise, while pressing an attack on an enemy capture point, throwing down Garrison on their point will drastically diminish damage done to you and your team from the turret.
9. Capture Strategy. Your enemy's closest points to their spawn (i.e. drill+boneyard, or refinery+quarry), are the last points you want to capture in Dominion. Not to say that you shouldn't, and frequently at least one of them will be the object of a quest, but focusing on either of them can be problematic for several reasons. Because they're both so close to enemy spawn, it'll be very easy for the enemy to reclaim the points. Also, by putting teammates at risk at one of these points, it leaves the enemy the room to capture Windmill and easily retake one of those close points anyway. Making Windmill your third capture point is much more beneficial, as it is equidistant from both spawns.
10. Be supportive. I'm constantly frustrated with the level of indecency and pettiness to teammates on League of Legends. If you want to really have fun and be successful, read the League Code and be a f***ing decent person. I'm so tired, as many of you might be, of ragey kids who have no respect for the people they play with.