Before I get started there are a couple of things I want to establish:
- I am no pro, or game developer, simply an overly observant TT enthusiast.
- I understand that Riot is a serious company aiming to please it's audience, but at the same time can't please everyone all at once so things get a bit hectic at times.
- There is no reason what-so-ever to take my opinions seriously, because they are what I claim they are. Opinions. Nothing more.
- I have over 1500 games played total, 1400 at the very least are TT. I leveled with TT and I play it daily.
- I am no elitist, narcissist or rager and the only reason I'm hyper critical is because I want to enjoy an extremely fun map even more.
With that said, lets get started.
As of now, TT is a JOKE. I mean we can be honest here, spotlight's don't feature it anymore, it has nowhere near the player base as SR/Dom and the meta is pretty much littered by tanky dps with sustain. I have a few ideas that aren't by any means new, but I'll articulate them in a way that I think will represent anyone whom has had the discussion of the problems of TT with me.
The problems that I've noticed are as followed:
(I will elaborate why I see these as problems and what I think should be done afterwards)
- 1. Flash summoner spell nerf
- 2. Flash like mechanics
- 3. Fountain Turret Kiting
- 4. Turret damage is insignificant past mid game(7-8)
- 5. Champion snowballing
- 6. Item set is the same as SR's item set
- 7. Jungle buffs are random
- 8. Jungle creep spawns are random
Explanations and proposed fixes:
- 1. Explanation: The flash nerf was completely unnecessary and a big hit to TT and it's meta. It further diminished the entertainment quality by forcing less evasiveness in champions who needed it and promoted more in your face, bruiser-like tanky dps fighters that take forever to kill. I personally didn't view anything wrong with flash, the problem in my eyes was flash mechanics on low cool downs. Those skills promote uninteresting and one sided game play that is just down right lame at times. It really can be a kill joy and I don't think the nerf gun was aimed in the right directions simply because of the evasiveness offered and at the same time having an imbalanced high reward, low risk system.
Proposed fix: Revert flash to it's original state and refer down to 2nd explanation for further elaboration.
- 2. Explanation: As said above, flash-like mechanics are just annoying and inconvenient if they are not counterable.
Proposed fix: Add a few things to TT that makes game play a bit more balanced. For one, invisible walls that make jungle to base impossible(or vice versa), top to dragon impossible(or vice versa) and top to mid impossible(or vice versa). Two, make it so these invisible walls cannot be passed through by ANY champion ability. Only flash. This would do many things, for example, decrease the mobility of many problem champs, mix up the meta to where it needs to be, allowing mages to not be almost always out shined and lastly it would increase the safety of bot lane and top lane, allowing a much cleaner laning phase and requiring much more skill and teamwork for ganks.
- 3. Explanation: This has always has been a problem because it's so discouraging to be pushing for a final turret kill and the last member alive, or the remaining two members alive on the enemy team, are able to gain minion aggro and kite the minions into the fountain turret, preserving the health of the nexus turret, while being untouchable because they have the ability to aggro minions while under the protection of the fountain turret.
Proposed Fix: Scale the base so it's a bit larger, separate the fountain turret and nexus turret more and lastly adjust the minion's walk paths accordingly.
- 4. Explanation: With tanky bruisers/fighters dominating the meta it's no surprise that turret damage is almost insignificant past mid game. The turret damage is just not sufficient enough to even out the risk/reward factors of diving in 2v1, 3v1 or 3v2. Also late game, turret defenses are just not enough to hold off a team of 3 after an ace, even without minion waves this makes late game ganking/team fighting overly rewarding compared to the risk taken. Most of the time teams have enough mobility to have one beefy champion tank, burst down a champion or two and then retreat to safety.
Proposed fix: Adjust turret damage to scaling true damage throughout the game and give turrets increasingly scaling armor late game. Also adjust champion damage to turrets to reflect the stage of the game. (E.g. champions do -75% damage to turrets below level 6, champions do 50% less damage to turrets in levels 6-15, champions do 25% less damage to turrets in levels 16 and above)
- 5. Explanation: Champion snowballing is really one key problem of TT, kills and the gold received from kills account for a lot more on TT compared to SR and Dom. This is no secret because TT is basically a farming war, though so is SR, snowballing is far worse on TT. If a person gets 2 levels ahead of you early game by winning a 1v1 and he/she plays his cards right, they can snowball rapidly while farming jungle, harassing lane and group ganking with teammates and there is nothing you can do about it.
Proposed fix: See Proposed fix #6.
- 6. Explanation: The item set of TT is shared with SR, this allows the meta of TT to be determined by the star fighters and bruisers of the SR meta. Plain and simple, when you give some champions items they snowball too harshly and can farm too easily. (E.g. Tryndamere with wriggles and IE, I'm not at Trynd hater, I'm not going to cry and call him OP, so calm down Trynd fan boys, just using him as an example because he's the most blatant scale champ.)
Proposed fix: In my honest opinion I think TT should have it's own item set, even if it's only a list of specific items that are singled out from the item library as a whole, to be purchased in TT. The item set should be at least somewhat unique and promote more balanced gameplay and give summoners a better fighting chance against scale carries who become an unstoppable force after wriggles. This would also mix up the meta more allowing mages to be more viable in TT and finally changing up the whole bruisers or lose aspect of TT. (More specifically, less vamp/life steal, % scaling and crit damage scaling items. These tend to be the worst of the bruiser and snowballing problem.) Also games for the most part, end before people can complete builds, so this is another reason to give TT it's own item set, so people can build faster and keep up with the flow of faster game play that is TT.
*****I'd like feedback for the above proposition, from anyone who agrees or disagrees. What would you guys like to see or not see? Discuss specific items. Tell Riot!*****
- 7&8. Explanation: Everyone knows one of the biggest reasons why TT isn't as competitive as SR is the jungle isn't static. This is a HUGE problem, simply because there is no determination of what you'll get in the jungle, this also makes the xp gained based on route taken completely unpredictable. One more thing is that generally all buffs benefit melee more than casters, once again promoting the bruiser or lose play style of TT.
Proposed fix: Completely revamp the jungle. Make both top creep camps spawn 2 golems for the entirety of the game, make the bottom creep camp spawn wolves throughout the entirety of the game, make blue side spawn white buff first and make purple side spawn green buff first and rotate each buff after the death of each camp, one more thing is to add blue buff in the rotation for mid spawn along with red. Promoting more mages in the meta and making mid a more important control point.
Whew, there we go. Those are all of my opinions and ideas that I could come up with based on the games played and players I've encountered. I know I'm not plat player or anything, but I shouldn't have to be for you guys to agree with me, as these are very blatant problems that have been around since the birth of LoL. I hope that you guys enjoyed reading and I really hope to get a red response because I'm eager to hear what the Red's think and I'm also anxious to hear if TT has the possibility of a bigger and more competitive community, with the help of Riot. Lastly, I'd like to thank Riot for being the cool developers that they are and listening to their community on major issues that do come up, as most companies don't do that. I really hope to that you guys take my opinions and ideas into consideration.
Also I'd like to thank the Reds for making a great game, I've enjoyed it so much and I hope to see it become progressively even more entertaining.
Credits to Icedphenom for helping me articulate these propositions more clearly than I would have and for helping me come up with them.