One major issue I have with the item selection in LoL is that almost all items seem to blatantly favor the champions with faster attack speeds, or skills that allow them to rapidly attack. While I understand having fast attack speed is meant to be a good thing, when nearly every decent lifesteal, damage, or crit item gives a passive bonus that either deals damage at a flat rate per hit, or stacks per consecutive hit, it can become a little disheartening playing physical attack champions that aren't lightning fast attackers.
Here's just a sample of the items that blatantly favor rapid attackers over slower attackers:
- Wit's End: This item removes 42 mana per hit and deals that mana back at the target as damage. With a fast attacker this item drains a targets mana pool and deals massive amounts of magic damage, while the effects are only a fraction as good on a slower attacker.
- Black Cleaver: This reduces a targets armor by 15 for 5 seconds and stacks up to 5 times. Again, with a fast attacker, this can demolish any tank that's stacked armor in no time, the same can't be said for using it on a slower hitting champion or tank.
- Malady: Same concept as Black Cleaver, only with additional damage on enemy champions.
- Madred's Razor: With a 12% chance to deal 500 damage to a minion, this item is perfect for jungling for rapid hitters. Why not make an item that instead gives champions a good percentage increase of their base attack against minions so that ALL champions have the opportunity to jungle more efficiently?
- Madred's Bloodrazor: Deals 2.5% of the target's maximum health per hit, which stacks up rapidly on fast attackers but doesn't offer much to slower ones.
- Any item that gives you an opportunity to slow an enemy on attack also falls into this category
With all of these items benefiting rapid attack champions and attack speed builds, why aren't there more items with passives that benefit the slower hitting physical attack champions? Many of those passives could easily be converted to items that benefit all champions, rather than just the fast hitting, usually ranged characters.
Here are a couple ideas for passives that would benefit harder, slower hitting champions and in many cases the fast hitting ones as well.
- An item that reduces a targets armor based on a small percentage of the damage dealt to the target per hit. A slow champion reliant on fewer, heavier hits would get the same amount of armor reduction satisfaction as a fast attacker with this passive.
(Using the same method, you could introduce an item similar to Wit's End that reduces mana based on a percentage of the damage dealt to an enemy rather than a set amount per hit.)
- Items with similar passives, only rather than reducing a targets armor or mana, they could increase your attack speed or lifesteal by a small percentage of the damage you deal per hit.
- For jungling, an item that increases your base attack vs minions by a percentage, rather than a percent chance for you to deal massive damage to a minion.
- An item that increases the base attack of a physical attack by a percentage every 2 or 3 seconds. Because it amplifies a single hit and has a cooldown, an item with this passive would be perfect for slow hitters, and perhaps even give people the option to cut attack speed out of their build.
I really feel LoL would benefit from introducing some items like these. Often times I find myself feeling like a second class champion when I play ones that don't have insane attack speeds because of the current item selection, and I don't think that's what the creators intended. And yes I realize all champions can go with an attack speed build, but why should all the best passives benefit those builds in particular? Attack speed is not inherently weaker than a crit chance build/damage build, yet it seems that the passives of most items benefit the former. Please post your thoughts on the issue and any other passives you might think of that could benefit slower attackers.