Originally Posted by Coleman
I also main Nassus and I do not believe Rod of Ages and nassus mix. Here are my reasons why:
1) RoA does not help mana regen. You can keep SF up constantly through mana regen items so the extra MP is mostly pointless.
2) The damage SF has on its own is enough to wipe out most of the minnions without additional AP so the extra AP is mostly pointless. 90% of the time you want the skill for the armor reduction anyway which the AP doesn't help capitalize on.
3) There are better items for HP that don't cost so much.
4) This is mostly just me, but I'm sick of the RoA people trying to make it viable for every character. If I liked tanking and RoA I'd play chogath or something.
What I wanted to say is that if you are not very good or if for some reason you are having a hard time farming you can fill up on hearts of gold at around the 20-30 minute mark in a long game to help yourself out and then replace them one by one with the better items suggested by this guide as soon as you can afford them.
I am pretty serious on what I said. You are basically making a RoA trial because you don't like that item.
1) Catalyst does help a lot more than anything else to stay on line. Be it mana or hp. Late game the extra mp won't be pointless. Cause after that I don't go quickly for any mana regen. (Soul shroud comes later)
2) That's why I said the AP isn't what you build that item for. But it helps, and also add 0.8%/s to your ultimate which isn't something that should be underestimated. Imagine this a bonus if you want. This is not the main purpose of getting that item.
3) Hp is only a part of what it brings. MP and Catalyst beeing other ones. And 3k gold / 725 hp is actually one of the best. Warmog beeing the only one better but lacking all the mana part, thus making it not as viable.
And I do not feel concerned by the not very good part. Really.
About the "He is no tank" argument on other posts. Ofc his passive makes him a good fighter. But some blind/exhaust/whatever will screw the killing machine just like any other melee hero. Not saying he is bad at it.
But taking his passive as an argument for him not beeing a tank is imo kinda fail. His ultimate is what makes him a tank. Poping it in team fights makes you a first priority target. With a fighter build, any disable (stun/miss) would bring you to the ground pretty quick.
Just remember undying in dota. He was considered as a tank (imo he was the best one) because of his ultimate which made him a first priority target. This is why I am speaking about a RoA. An item that I only make on an other non intuitive tank -Morgana- because of the lane power it gives you and that those heroes need in order to be effective in their tanking role early game and not only late game.
Because I am not making an ultimate fully itemized build, but something that will give you real efficiency all over the game.
I must add that it is also all about how you play him because of how versatile he is. But don't ignore other possibilities because you may have think that all heroes must be one sided.