Originally Posted by axesandspears
The idea of a "take damage for champion x" item was shot down by Xypherous a long time ago.
1. It makes "tanking" for one champion too easy.
2. It becomes "required", because of the nature of the effect.
3. It makes players who play tanks or bruisers feel like ****, because anyone who does not rush this item is seen as "intentionally" throwing the game.
2. The intended goal was to create an item that a tank would take to buddy up with a melee damage dealer. The short duration / breakable tether makes it less than ideal when protecting a ranged champion as the tank is spread further away, making even slight position adjustments enough to prevent / break the tether.
3. Perhaps, but the effect itself is sacrificing a greater amount of team total health in order to give a high value target a bit more face time, or maybe aid in surviving tonnes of damage.
I feel it has enough drawbacks where attempting the stack the item would be as detrimental as not having it all. Durable champions who have much greater effective health essentially lose that advantage in this version of a damage soak. You're basically using the target's resistances for your own, and that is rarely even going to be in the tank's favor, let alone if the two get caught in an AoE bomb.
Still, point taken.