I am going to hijack this thread.
I just got out of the official Riot support, and they encouraged me to post here about the issue. Let me affirm that I have the EXACT same issue. Here's a brief look at the ticket: Request #4256077
Reproducing this issue is easy. I have done it on multiple computers and across many patches.
- Launch game
- Start a game on any map (Summoner's Rift, Crystal Scar, Twisted Treeline, or Proving Grounds)
- Open up the menu
- Change a hotkey to the semicolon " ; " key. (I used smart cast summoner spell 2) (See attached picture 1 - Swain's Hotkeys)
- Observe that when you click semicolon the action that has been assigned to semicolon is performed (Flash, ignite, recall, pull up shop, etc)
- Finish the game.
- Start a new game on any map
- Press semicolon and observe that the ability that was just mapped to semicolon " ; " no longer triggers.
- Open the menu
- Go to hotkeys and observe that the semicolon " ; " key has been reassigned to right bracket " ] " (See picture 2 - Karthus's hotkeys)
- Exit the menu and try using right bracket "] "to activate the ability it claims to be mapped to.
- Observe that nothing happens even when right bracket " ] " is pressed.
tl;dr - the semicolon " ; " becomes unassigned after every game.
This has happened without fail, every single game, on every single computer, on multiple accounts for the past four months (as long as I've been using semicolon " ; " as an ability)
I tried the HUD solution, that was clever thought, but sadly it did not work. Semicolon still unbinds after every game. So far as I know it is just semicolon, no hud setting or otherwise.
I look forward to trying to help get this resolved.
tl;dr - I'm having the same issue. I tried your proposed solution and it did not work.