Hello, as a long time player of LoL I want to notice pros and cons of the new ranking system. Later I will suggest how I want to fix it.
First of all, this system is very similar to the previous elo system except that you're in brackets. That being said there is still a "hidden" elo or point attached to your name.
1. Bracketed into a group.
2. A new fresh system that makes sense.
3. Easier for lower ranked people to climb a ladder.
1. Easy to get trolled.
2. People don't care so much about losing.
3. Playing with people outside your division.
4. Built on win streaks / losing streaks.
5. Lose more points than you win.
6. Losing streaks are more painful than winning.
7. Hard to get out of your division into a higher one.
8. Easier to drop divisions.
Let me first state what the definition of a troll is.
Troll - A person who doesn't try to win, intentionally loses, doesn't adhere to the consensus of the team, AFKs, aggressive towards the team, lacks communication, and doesn't care about the others on a team, or someone who is able to be legitimately reported after a game.
The previous elo system weeded trolls out very quickly, while you still had the possibility to play with them, it seemed to fade the higher you got up, by the 1300-1400 you seemed to be scot-free of them.
With a number system in the elo system everyone saw a drop, or saw a rise. This made people think about everything they did.
Imagine this scenario:
Billy it playing a ranked, he isn't doing well, he is getting frustrated.
( This was roughly the conversion. )
His Riot Score is: Silver-D1-50pts
His Elo is: 1410
Riot Ranked System: Billy doesn't care, he says "balls to it" Billy leaves, or quits, or maybe he wasn't having a good time. Billy loses 15 points, who cares? He is still in division 1.
Elo Ranked System: Billy says, "Oh golly if I leave, I'll lose 15-25points, I can't do that, EVERYONE WILL SEE THAT IM A BIG JERK FOR LEAVING, I LOST ELO WHICH EVERYONE SAW, let me play this game out." Billy then plays his hardest and loses. Billy still contributed to the team. It was a close game.
In both scenarios Billy lost, the main point was that in the Elo system he was still constructive, there is no incentive to win in the new system. It encourages constant loses.
Secondly, I got dropped from Silver 1 to Silver 2, don't get me wrong I'm upset. Did I play well? Yeah I played well. Did I do the best I could of? No... I had a losing streak.
Why did I lose? I was Silver 1 - #4 in my bracket at one point.
1 - Close game we lost.
2 - AFKer
3 - Renekton said "You don't deserve to win"
4 - "Jungle or feed" Vi, then goes 1/10
5 - Won
6 - Close game we lost.
-- Dropped to Silver 2 --
I went 1/6 for Winning.
In most of those games I was playing with people who were in Silver 3, don't get me wrong, I'm only just shy of Gold, why am I playing with people in the middle of Silver.
Their incentive to win isn't the same as mine, I'm just shy of Gold, and their mindset isn't the same as mine.
They're not at the same point level I am, I could be 1 win from gold, or 1 loss to dropping a bracket, I should be playing with people who are in the same boat. That just allows someone to "troll you back."
How do we fix this?
- Weed out trolls.
1. Review those who are reported in ranked.
2. Drop the divisions / brackets that they are in.
- Allow games in which people AFK or "Troll" to be compensated.
1. If people AFK compensate the players, instead of a 18 point loss, make it a 9 point loss.
2. Those people who AFK or Troll (reported of course) to get severe punishments.
- Fix the amount of points that are given or lost.
1. I hate gaining 18 points but then losing 22. How goes that make sense?
- Fix the brackets
1. People who are in Silver 1 shouldn't be playing with a Silver 3, or Silver 4.
Lastly my biggest point is,
- Punish griefers, I understand some people have bad games, but punish those who are "trolling"