Recipe for Success
1) Enter Champion Select.
2) Greet teammates so they know you are connected. (ex. "Hey everyone.")
3) Make ban requests/suggestions. (ex. "I find Shen particularly unmanageable," or "H8 Shen") Expect statements like this to be met by responses from teammates such as, "I'd prefer Shen not be banned so that I might play him if I am Top," or "I find him particularly manageable so if I am Top, we do not need to ban him." Ultimately, try not to make a big deal over bans. It is 3 champions.
4) Make your role preference known as follows: "Preferably not _____ (ex. Jungle)"
5) If you see that several others would not prefer a certain role, volunteer for that role. If someone volunteers for a role because you did not want it, thank him. Consider honoring him after the match.
6) Once players have volunteered for unwanted roles, players should make more specific preferences known (e.g. "I'm really on a streak as ADC") until roles are determined through players deferring to more insistent teammates.
7) Later-picking players should immediately start planning trades with higher pick players who are going to be playing Top, Mid, or ADC, to decrease the chance of those positions being countered. Late-picks offer statements like, "Who're your best mids? I own a lot of typical APCs, as well as Kha, Talon and Zed."
If every player can play even 3 roles competently and confidently, it will be very rare for anyone to be forced to play one of his worst two roles.
If every player can play 4 roles well enough to be playing them in ranked, it will be extremely rare for any one to be forced into his worst role.
Everyone will play a role he excels at or is at least comfortable with, and an effective team composition will result.
If you don't use this method of communication- or amiably and honorably say something like "filling [any role]"- you should expect the following:
- Having verbal conflicts with teammates.
- Being forced to play roles you don't want to.
- Forcing other players into roles they don't want to play.
- Particularly immature players trolling because they didn't get their preferred role.
- Effectively losing a significant number of games before they start.
This is how coordinated champion selection works, which goes a long way in Solo/Duo. Good luck with your method should you use a conflicting one, and enjoy your eternal Bronze rating.