Originally Posted by soccerstud25
1) Orbital Strike would reduce the effectiveness of characters with global ults like Gangplank, Karthus, TF, and Pantheon.
2) Team captains are capable of being trolls too. What if you get a jackoff-of a team captain who uses both spells immediately? Then your team is at a distinct disadvantage the rest of the game.
3) This could shift team fights entirely in one team's favor. Imagine your team is hiding in a bush, which you made sure was cleared of wards, trying to bait the enemy into attacking you. Then all of a sudden, Airborne recon is cast, they see you, you get hit by a malph ult or a mummy ult, orbital strike is cast, and immediately your team is down 200 health and into a team fight that you had worked to get positioning for.
4) Part of the game is knowing timers. If you've ever watched pro streams, you'd see them say things like drag xx:xx and OB xx:xx. If you're good you will know about when your wards are about to run out. If I'm a support and I know my ward has 60 seconds left and I don't have any more to take its place, I'm backing so that we aren't fighting blind.
5) Another HUGE part of the game is positioning. If you see the enemy jungler or ADC in bottom lane, your team may try to sneak a quick baron. It's all about map awareness and knowing where you should be when.
If something like this were to be implemented, it would need to be through a "team shop" where your team could purchase these upgrades for one member of your team to use. This way, no team is given a distinct advantage (because it would be taking away part of your in game currency), it would foster greater team work, one player couldn't get the summoner spells and troll with them, and players could choose what they wanted.
At any rate, I don't see this change in the near future. This would be a HUGE change to the current game, and would require all kinds of balancing, testing, and reworks.
1. No it would not affect them that much because their ults recharge fast, do more damage, can hurt monsters/teleport themselves, and provide numerous other effects such as slow. Every characterful would be effected equally. It is also only a one time use.
2. Trolls can abuse any feature in a game. I merely wanted team captains, who have "highest" elo and therefore a disadvantage because in all likelihood they have a bigger amount of elo slated to be "lost" than "gained" due to the nature of the matchmaking system, to have these two "lifeline tools" at their hands to balance out the fact that they have the most to lose from the game.
3. Yes, I see the problem, but orbital strike could scale with the game like Smite does. And clairvoyance is already a spell. This is a one time use clairvoyance, it would be visible that you are being seen like clairvoyance as well.
4. Yes, but the goal here is that sometimes you are team captain and you have more pressing matters than wards. Why not these two easy lifelines?
5. I understand this, but it a one-time use and could only be used to stop ONE thing. Both teams have it and both teams know the enemy has one. So it is tactically fair. The team captains higher elo with more to lose is being balanced out here.