I didn't know whether or not to put this is New Players, General Discussion, or Guides and Strategies; but I'm newish (level 21 and pretty bad) so I thought this would be a good place to ask.
So I got Jarvan, and I'm really enjoying playing him. This is the way I currently build him (almost complete DPS) and I would like some critique on it:
Runes: Average melee DPS runes - armor pen, attack speed, attack damage, critical strike chance, some armor, some health
Masteries: 21/0/0 (I'm level 21, but I plan on filling the rest in with Utility when I'm able)
Summoner Spells: Ghost/Clarity (I like to harass a lot early game, and Jarvan doesn't exactly have the mana to do that, especially since I don't always hit my skillshots)
- Cloth Armor + 5 Health Pots
- Boots of Speed + Heart of Gold
- Mercury's Treads + Catalyst the Protector
- Banshee's Veil (unless the enemy team doesn't have particularly mean abilities or AP)
- Phantom Dancer
- Last Whisper
- Atma's Impaler
If the game goes on long enough:
Build Heart of Gold into Randuin's Omen
Trade in Atma's Impaler for Infinity Edge
I build the HoG and Banshee's first for some survivability and then deck out in some AD DPS gear to kill quickly and push towers late game.
- Should I go for survivability first? Or is getting kills earlier more important?
- Is the Heart of Gold worth it? It helps me get some items more quickly while providing armor, but I rarely get to build it into Randuin's. I usually just end up selling it for Atma's or something. Can I build the Cloth Armor into something better?
- Are there better things to get for Jarvan than Phantom Dancer, Last Whisper, and Atma's? I realize that Bloodthirster, Madred's Bloodrazor, Stark's Fervor, and Infinity Edge can be really good on him, but I haven't tried them (except Inf Edge really late game).
- Should I consider Sunfire Cape instead of Randuin's?
- Also, random question not related to build: Does Jarvan's E provide sight? I usually take Q first to poke the bushes, but if E gives sight, it's obviously much better for that.