Originally Posted by Admiral Love
Not helpful. Don't be a ****.
It's the only correct answer, because what the ideal action is 100% dependent on the situation.
There's too many factors to give a real answer to the question. What are the team comps? Who is your lane opponent? What's happening with buffs, dragon, and/or baron? How are your other lanes doing? Where is the enemy jungler? Where is your jungler?
The most general thing is that you always want to win your lane, but even that can have many meanings. And sometimes that just isn't possible, and what you really want to do is not LOSE your lane.
Edit: Actually, the most general things are:
1. Don't die
2. Get as much CS as possible.
3. Get as many kills as possible
4. Deny as much CS as possible
5. Prevent as much damage to your own tower as possible
6. Don't die
7. Work towards the end goal of getting their Nexus down (may involve killing some towers and going to other lanes at some point).
Which is applicable to all lanes and can easily be summarized by "beat the enemy". There is no one-size-fits-all strategy for laning.