It would - but the players would have at least somewhat of an ability to react. It would depend on:
1) Orianna's original positioning in relation to the initiation champion.
2) Position of the ball.
3) Reaction time.
Let's say Malphite ults in, it would be much tougher for Ori to place the ball from herself to Malphite, get the delayed damage/displacement from R and hit everyone that Malphite hit. That can be quite the delay.
Now, a skilled Ori may Q the ball into a better position, but that does involve some addition risk and foresight. It wouldn't just be automatic damage.
orianna is hurting bad at high level play, so essentially, because it doesn't stop me from going E-R-W, what do you think it will do for a pro?
in the time malphite knocks everyone up, i can set up an E-R-W.
now, if you replace me with toyz/nyjacky/froggen or some other pro mid, they can probably still do the exact same thing with orianna.
and what of the other points?
orianna has a pretty good early, we dont need to increases bases or ratios
increasing bases or ratios means
more dps later on
more aoe damage
all of which orianna doesn't need.
i also don't understand why dashes have to make them lose the shield
1. not all dashes are for initiation, and if you are going to make them lose the shield, orianna's utility power will be decreased quite a bit
2. where would the ball go? just stay there? come back?
3. it doesn't stop me from E-R-W. i can just do it after they dash, and it will still be as devastating.
4. it removes gameplay, which i feel is almost never good