Originally Posted by DeathByWaffle
I'm a top lane main, so I'll give you what advice I can. Some of the advice I'll give probably wont apply to some roles, such as jungle or adc. It's most relevant to top lane.
1. Choose your best two roles to practice and practice how to support as well. If you don't want to support, don't do ranked. For reference, I am best with top and know how to do mid and support as well.
2. Play a few hundred more normals to practice. I hardly ever touched ranked except near the end of the seasons to get my free skins in both seasons and I've been playing pretty much since beta.
3. When you practice, learn to win your lanes on your own without anyone ganking for you. Learn to deal with their jungler ganking your lane and still win anyway. You must be able to win your lane consistently over many matches or if that's impossible due to the fact that you have been counter picked, learn to tie match ups. Even in the worst match ups, it's possible to at least farm passively and not die if you know what to do. If it's this case, try to remain within 20 cs of your opponent. This is immensely useful to the team because now your jungler can focus his ganks completely on the other two lanes and still rely on you to win yours without him.
4. Never play the blame game. It serves no purpose and accomplishes absolutely nothing. Also, stop believing in Elo hell if you currently believe it exists. It doesn't exist especially if you are looking at a sample size of tens of matches. It takes a lot more than that to get to high elo.
Well, long story short, improve your individual skill. Teamwork is important, yes, but individual skill takes precedence over that when practicing. Why? Because a person will contribute his most to the team if he's actually a good player. A bad player with good teamwork will still make too many costly mistakes. That's not to say teamwork isn't important, just that you should improve your own individual skill before thinking about that.
Thank you for constructive feedback, I really appreciate it as I just want to learn and get better so I can carry myself out even when stuck with sub-par teammates.
1. I am quite capable of playing support and do it quite often. I almost always get my adc pretty fed with strong initiations in bot lane.
2. You are right on this. I should play more normals practicing repeatedly on only a few champs. I tend to be pretty sporadic with my champ selections because I enjoy variety, but to carry out I know I should pick several main champions for diff positions and master them in normals to carry to higher elo. I will start doing this and come back to ranked later in the season.
3. For the most part I am able to stay afloat top lane even through counterpicks and ganks. If I'm counterpicked I play very passive and farm under tower, and also I try to make sure to keep river bush warded to avoid ganks, though occasionally I get tower-dove and die under tower (not sure how to always avoid this) which puts me at a disadvantage as top lane is so volatile. On occasion I get a little careless or too blood-thirsty and overextend (tunnel vision too), but I try to learn from my mistakes, still workin on that.
4. This is something I rarely struggle with. In fact, I tend to be the one on my team trying to keep everyone from wanting to rip each other's heads off. I try to keep everyone positive and optimistic, but there are so many ragers. I have had my downfalls where I do bash people sometimes, I'm human and it's hard not to get pissed when I'm on a losing streak and someone is feeding yet again. As for elo hell I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I understand that if I was like 300-400 elo better than I am currently ranked then I would carry out of this elo. But I just feel like literally every single game I get stuck with multiple people who don't have a clue at all and idk what to do about it :/ But this is why I am looking for the advice so I can better myself, I don't want to blame everyone else for it cuz I need to accept responsibility. But it is frustrating sometimes because it is a team game and it's hard to do well in solo queue when stuck with not-great players
Thank you for advice! Keep it coming please
I just want to learn and improve!