Originally Posted by Snuggler
Brief - An AP based spell caster who excels at clearing large groups of creeps, freezing opponents in place and offering protection to teammates (or self) with a fantastic magic protection shield.
She has lower HP, but can dish out quite a bit of damage to multiple Champions if she can stay alive long enough to use her moves to full extent. Paired with a tank is a combination to watch out for playing against Morgana.
Dark Binding (Q) : This move fires in a straight line, with decent range, and will freeze the first enemy it reaches (can be avoided by staying behind your creeps). Dark Binding will prevent you from moving for several seconds, but will not inhibit you from attacking. This is deadly if other enemy champions are around.
"Corrupted" soil: (W): I can't remember the real name.
This is her bread and butter move that creates an Area Effect on the ground (large black circle) that causes a DOT for as long as an enemy creep or champion stands in it. It does significant damage at higher levels. A common strategy is to freeze your hero with Dark Binding and immediately place this AOE spell on you while you are frozen. It is also used in conjunction with her ultimate.
Shield(E): Morgana has a defensive tool that some people QQ should be her ultimate. It is a magic prevention shield that lasts for several seconds and protects against magic attacks. She can cast it on herself and can save her allies by castingthe shield on other champions. It is a saving throw in many situations when you think you have her beaten.
Ultimate (R): Morgana's ultimate can be devastating if she closes in to your group of heroes. Within a short range of her, she will send out tendrils of damage to all Champions within her radius. The spell performs several large ticks of damage and does an extra burst at the end if you are within range for the entire 6 seconds. In large group combat, she will follow behind the tanks, run in, shield herself, and clean house.
As a solo fighter, her HP is a limiting factor in her fights. She is not stealthy but is great at pushing lanes because of the speed she can clear out creeps. In a group setting she is deadly when played correctly.
I wanted to make a few corrections, as Morgana is probably my favorite champion to play as.
1. Morgana actually has a fairly high amount of base health for a caster, and there is a tanking Morgana guide. Her high survivability and utility is what makes her so dangerous in a group fight, and she can solo kill most non-tanks without much difficulty.
2. Dark Binding does a small amount of damage over time during the duration. Moves such as Master Yi's Alpha Strike can cause you to move through the stun without setting it off, causing it to miss or hit something behind you. As a general rule, keep creeps between you and her. If she misses Dark Binding, she's completely useless until the cooldown comes back. It is a skill shot, so it can be avoided by sidestepping or running out of its range.
3. Tormented Soil is the name of her AOE. It ticks 5 times with an AP ratio of about 0.3 per tick, for a 1.5 AP ratio (this is a lot of damage) so do not stand in it. She often uses it to farm, clearing out the backrow creeps. If the melee creeps are close, I can hit both groups. If you are melee, you will have a hard time laning against Morgana because of this and Dark Binding together.
4. Black Shield is potentially the best defensive ability in the game. It scales extremely well with her AP in damage absorption, and it also removes ALL debuffs and prevents debuffs from being applied while it holds. Debuffs with a DOT effect still apply their damage against the shield but any stun/snare effect is disabled. She will often cast it upon her allies (think Master Yi with this on him) so they can gank you while she immobilizes you with Dark Binding. Keep in mind that this shield absorbs magic damage, but physical abilities such as Alpha Strike (Master Yi) and Spinning Slash (Tryndamere) will go through the shield even though their damage is considered magic damage.
5. Soul Shackles, the ultimate. This move does initial damage, scaling 1:1 with her AP to all nearby Champions. It does NOT tick for more damage over time, however any champion that stays near her will have their movement speed reduced by 30% and after 4 seconds will have the damage applied a second time and stunned for 2 seconds. If you can get enough distance, it is possible to run back in immediately without being hit by the stun.
Soul Shackles has many good applications. When ganking, I usually begin with Dark Binding, drop Soil beneath you, pop my ultimate and then shield myself. If you are still alive at this point, I have 40% reduced cooldowns and will shortly hit you with another binding/soil combo to finish you off. This move is also excellent for escaping a gank. Shield yourself and use it and run away. I have escaped 5 man team ganks using this strategy combined with flashing through walls/trees. Finally, this move is amazing in a team fight. Stay toward the outside of the fight and try to hit at least two champions with it. Move to try to keep them both in the effect but if they separate, pick one and follow them, but never ever put yourself at risk and DO NOT just run into the middle of the fight and pop it and expect to live for more than 2 seconds.
Final note: Her auto attack is extremely weak and has a very short range for a caster, so take advantage of this, being aware of Dark Binding. If she misses, that's your chance to take her out, but never ever chase her far, and don't get caught with a binding near her towers. Her cooldowns are quick and if she hits you while retreating, it can easily go from your kill to hers.