Catalyst the Protector is an item that's primarily used to help you stay in your lane.
A character who can benefit from Catalyst is one who...
1) Can benefit from Sapphire or Ruby Crystal as their first item.
2) Has a hard time staying in the lane, usually squishier melee characters
3) This isn't 100% important, but they should be able to benefit from Rod of Ages, Banshee's Veil, or Innervating Locket later on.
Chalice is not quite designed that way, but does pretty much solve mana problems in the early and mid game.
1) Good for a character with a heal or some kind of spammy defensive ability
2) Good for a character who doesn't have a hard time staying in the lane
3) Good for a character who harasses with abilities
So, a Chalice is very good for Sivir if you rush it; you can spam her abilities and she's ranged, so she doesn't usually get hurt during the laning phase.