The only caution about champions is making them unique FROM EACH OTHER.
I mean we don't need 5-6 blink type spells, 5-6 single target damage spells, 5-6 damage spell that bounces off X units, 5-6 push this enemy away spells...
It shows a lack of creativity.
I mean look at all these ideas that haven't even been TOUCHED yet:
- A skill that damages someone continually as long as they are moving.
- A skill that damages someone continually if they are NOT moving.
- A skill that can drag a champion around like a lasso.
- A skill that makes you immune to all disables for a time.
- A skill that deals damage out in an aoe when you are attacked.
- A global slow/disable
- A global invisibility for a time
- A life-steal buff applicable on other champs/enemies that gives you hp for their damage output.
These are just SAMPLES of the kind of stuff that isn't being touched while we have way too many of the 5-6 category stuff. As long as that trend stops we'll be ok, otherwise this game will have to go the route of Dota and have champs remade because they are far too similar to each other and could have far more creative abilities that better match their theme.