I Just wrote this guide because i see a lot of Ryze's going for a half cooldown / half ap build and i personally think it sucks and always own everyone who does it. You may not like my build, and think there is a better build out there... i would love to see it, i've tried a lot of ryze builds since hes one of my favorites and the first hero i ever unlocked. I would like to thank Churchy for the help on this guide, my first ryze guide was really ******ed and i wrote it when i had been up for 20 hours + was sick so thanks to him. But I'm sure there will be those haters who will say "You suck, your build sucks, and everything you do sucks." because thats part of the LoL community.
Arcane Mastery - When Ryze casts a spell, all other spells have their cooldown reduced by 1 second.
Overload - Ryze throws a charge of pure energy at an enemy unit for heavy damage and additional damage based upon Ryze's maximum mana.
Rune Prison - Ryze traps target enemy unit in a cage of runes, preventing them from moving or attacking, dealing damage for the duration.
Spell Flux - Ryze releases an orb of pure magical power which deals damage and bounces from the initial target up to 6 times.
Desperate Power - Ryze channels forbidden uncontrolled arcane power, granting him bonus Ability Power, and causing all of his spells to deal AoE damage.
Reason - First skill order is kind of standard, i always like having all 3 abbilities at level 3 because overload does do a lot at level 1. You can't go wrong with maxing flux (e) first. I've never played a game where i didn't rush his e to max level, its pretty much his ult. For the second skill order you might just need to get your hold to its max level for a hold because ... a yi keeps chasing you down or something.
I Personally use 29 in Offensive Masteries and use the 1 mastery in Utility that makes your Ghost move faster. Make sure to get the Magic penetration and bonus AP in the Offensive Masteries. And the Mastery that gives you +10 Ap when ignite is on cooldown.
Most people go Magic Penetration which is a very good rune build for ryze.
I Personally go Full AP. With my runes and masteries i get 79 ap at level 18. My runes are the "Get x per level. (Level 18 gives x ap) because its the most AP you can have at level 18 which is where the game is usually won, unless its a noob game
Ghost - Ignite
I go ghost because Ryze is slow compared to most heroes and since i usually only get level 1 w sometimes end up needing to chase down people.
- Target the dps heroes which do most of the damage to your team. Most the time their max hp is low. (I've been able to 1 shot a twitch sometimes with my first build.)
-Don't lead your team... your squishy if you get stunned and focused your f*cked
-In team fights always wait for them to group up
1ST ITEM BUILD - TANK HEAVY VS DPS HEAVY VS AP HEAVY
I usually start out with Doran's ring just because i can start out with about 30 ap if i end up using ignite. But you can get one of the Catalyst needed items to start out with + 2 heal pots.
Standard Game Build
This is a pretty standard build you can go. It's mainly for when your up against a balanced team such 1 tank 2 dps 2 ap heroes.
1. Catalyst - Mana/Hp for farming
2. Boots - I personally love to go Boots of Mobilitiy just cause i love running all over the place a ganking which really helps to add charges to Mejai's. But Sorcerer's boots also works.
3. Mejai's Soulstealer - Some games depending on how i farm in i will get this before Catalyst just because the sooner you get it the sooner you can start racking up charges.
4. Rod of Ages - This on top of ap gives Ryze some much needed health.
5. Zhonya's Ring - Cause its likes + 200 ap with Runes/Items
6. Rylai's Crystal Scepter - + 80 ap + 400 hp + slow on your abbilities... can't really argue with that.
Tank Heavy Build
If for some reason i'm facing a team with like 3 or 4 tanks i tend to go more armor penetration because most smart tanks get some kind of magic resistance item when they see a Ryze or they suck and your going to deal a lot of damage to them anyway (this is actually my standard build with heim but i'm not that good with him yet so it doesn't matter.)
1. Haunting Guise - Regen for farming + 20 magic penetration
2. Boots - Sorcerer's Boots for + 15 magic penetration
3. Mejai's Soulstealer - Once again i like to get this asap but i usually get Haunting Guise first just because the +35 magic penetration early on does a lot with ryze's abbilities.
4. Abyssal Scepter - Usually go this because of the +57 magic resistance you get for yourself and -20 for them. I have sometimes gone Void Staff if i started out really good and i see that some of them are build banshee viel's or building against me, I have seen some tanks get about 200+ magic resistance.
5. Zhonya's Ring - Cause its likes + 200 ap with Runes/Items
6. Rylai's Crystal Scepter
AP Heavy Build
Some games you will go against a mass amount of ap heroes which really hurts ryze. So i end up going for a + magic resistance build without taking away to much AP
2. Boots - Sorcerer or Mercury's Treads (+15 magic penetration or +35 magic resistance. can't really go wrong)
3. Mejai's Soulstealer - Love the AP
4. Rod of Ages - Survivability + AP
5. Zhonya's Ring -
6. & 7 Banshee Viel / Lich Bane - If for some reason you keep getting owned by the massive ap spam damage i would just get Viel so that you can stay alive farely easy + when most people see Viel they tend to ignore the person with it just because it does block a lot of damage.
DPS Heavy Build
If they went 4 DPS heroes then you should have no problem as ryze winning the game. Ryze owns what i call "agility heroes" because i played dota. They are high damage and very low hp (accept poppy who is just BOOM in your face) Usually just do my standard build or my anti tank build for the Magic Penetration.
SECOND ITEM BUILD - WORKS ONLY AGAINST NOOBS OR IF YOU GOT EXTREMELY FED
There are 2 ways i build ryze depending on how i farm. You can really only use this build if for some reason your opponents really really suck
1. Boots of Mobility
2. Kage's Lucky Pick
3. Kage's Lucky Pick
4. Kage's Lucky Pick
5. Kage's Lucky Pick
6. Kage's Lucky Pick
I will end up selling the Pick's one at a time and turn it into this build
1. Boots of Mobility
2. Archangel's Staff
3. Archangel's Staff or Lich Bane (depends on if i need the extra magic resistance + attack)
4. Archangel's Staff
5. Archangel's Staff
6. Zhonya's Ring
okay so this is just one of the two builds i usually do. Most of you right now are probably like Wtf this kid is noob and wasted my time. I actually saw a Heimerdinger get 6 archangel staffs with no boots and have 1.5k ap but the game went about 50 minutes so he was able to spam up abbilities a lot. So i made my own variation with ryze.
Heres the item description. +400 Mana +25 Mana Regen per 5 sec +45 Ability Power Passive: 2% of your Max Mana is converted to Ability Power. UNIQUE Passive: Each time your Champion uses an Ability their Maximum Mana will increase by 4 Mana. This effect has a 3 second cooldown. Bonus caps at 600 mana.
Reasons i do this build.
Boots - I get the boots of mobility because ryze is one of the best gank heroes there is with the massive instant damage so being able to get places quick around the map is great. the -15 magic penetration really isn't that great in my opinion when you can walk around at 2x the speed.
Reasons for The Mass Staffs
1. +400 mana x 4 = 1600 mana
2. turns 2% of your max mana converted to ability power.
3. +45 ability power ends up being about +65 (2% of 1600 = 80 / 4 = 20... i think( + the 2% from 1240 mana (his base mana at level 18 + the mana you get from spamming abbilities + 4 every abbility, i can usually hit 4k.)
4. About every 5 abbilities you cast you get +1 AP so if your smart and spam abbilities when your farming you will get a lot of ap quick.
Reasons 1 2 3 = Heres The Overload description
Ryze blasts enemy unit for 50/90/130/170/210 (+0.45) plus 10% of his max mana in magic damage (+).
i can't even remember but it ends up doing over 1.2k with all 6 items + Ult