Introduction: well since the horror that was called free rammus week has passed I have been inspired to write a guide explaining how not to SUCK with rammus. First off, if your going to be playing rammus you have to have the kohonas to match, so if you see a ryze run into a bush I better see a smoke trail zooming straight in there, otherwise, get the hell off of my turtle.
The number 1 rule of rammus, DO NOT FEAR DEATH, chances are anything in that bush is more afraid of you then you are of it. This applys to all aspects of rammus, whether its tower diving at level 3, or rolling into there entire team alone, all of rammus moves force you to get upclose and personal, so if you don’t have the guts to roll in there and chomp there carries face off, you need to find a different character. With that being said, rammus is the tankiest tank there is in this game, he has the ability to survive a 5 vs 1’s and the ability to take almost any champ 1v1. He is also the only tank that cannot truly be ignored in a team fight, with 2 AOEs and taunt, if the enemy doesn’t kill you they’ve already lost the fight.
The number 2 rule of rammus, is to gank like a mad man, starting at level 1. Rammusses roll is perfect for starting any team fight, not only is it an aoe, its an aoe slow, thus meaning, your team should either get first blood or the enemies will have to port back just as soon as the minons spawn. For this reason, it is in turtles best interest to lane with either a dps or another character that can stun/taunt.
For now I’m going to skip the abilities and get straight to the items, cause honestly it doesn’t matter how good you are with any character, if you have the wrong items. However keep in mind, this build is intended for end game, so its pretty lousy on twisted tree line.
1.Cloth armor, 2 health potions, + 1 mana potion
Heart of gold. (+5 gold every 10 seconds, 200 health, 27 armor.
2.Heart of gold
3.Now here is where you start making your own choices, You could start to build your boots
, Or you could start to build the Randuin's Omen
. The randuins omen is an amazing item, simply put, the more armor you have, the longer you can slow the enemies attack and movement speed down, in otherwords, this item was built for turtle. Furthermore, it has a small health regen, which is very welcoming to any turtle build.
4. Now this item is very very game dependant, never get use to buying the same thing every time. The ideal item here is a sunfire cape
, HOWEVER, that is only good if your team is pushing, if your stuck playing defence that cape isn’t going to do you, or your team any good. So if you cant buy a sunfire cape
, either buy a guardian angel
, a banshee viel
, a thornmail
, or a dreaded chalice of harmony.
5. Guardian angel
, unless your team has beaten them so badly that the thought of death never crosses your mind, this is an amazing item to get with turtle. It allows you to kamikaze roll into there team alone, and then watch as they all waste their abilities, and just when they think they have you, your team comes in to annihilate them, and as they desperatly try to get away in fear, you roll into them, and then taunt. It's praticly a guranteed 2-3 kills if not an ace.
6. Frost armor
– At this point turtle desperately wants and needs mana so be sure to build the glacial shroud first. Additionally This will add another aoe to turtles name, so if you have bought a sunfire cape, turtle now has 4 aoes, which thus makes him a huge threat.
this lovely little item has the benefit of amplifying turtles natural survivability. Teams will literally commit suicide trying to kill you, it is extremely funny when a team is attempting to kill you as you are attempting to escape only to have 1 or more of them die in the process.
8. (Sell a heart of gold) Warmogs,
Needless to say, if you have more life there killing themselves all the more, the health regen is also a plus.
What not to buy!
1.You notice the one thing you don’t see in the turtles build? SUPPOURT ITEMS
!!! If your getting aegis or some other support item your clearly not turtle enough for the turtle club. YOUR ROLLING INTO 5 ENEMIES ALONE, what more could your team ask of you?
– If I see another turtle with this item I’m going to murder a little puppy… if you think turtles little scratches are worth a little bit of extra damage your clearly on something, 90% of turtles battles will be with a team mate, and your going to be relying on your ult, and your roll to do the damage, so if your really crazy or stupid enough to increase turtles damage, get some bloody ap items.
3.MANA REGENERATION –
But but.. you listed the chalice of harmony as a 4th item… YEA, that’s only if your team is so unreliable that it cant finish a team fight, the only time turtle should be using mana is in a fight, Ill admit until end game this build is very starved for mana but at the same time, if your out of mana you should be near dead anyway. Another reason I don’t recommend mana regeneration is it allows you to spam your roll. When you roll the enemies should be wetting there pants anticipating and attack, not a clumsy turtle rolling into a bunch of newbie minons. If they fear your roll, they run, if they run they separate, if there separated its an easy kill. ENOUGH SAID.
4.STACKING ITEMS –
This should be plainly obvious but lo and behold far too many turtles build a leviathan, I don’t know how to put this any simpler, you’re the tank…. You run in before everyone else… life expectancy is not in your description. The only time you should have stacking items is if you’re playing an AP turtle build or if somehow they managed to feed you, and if they did you might as well start building AP items and face roll them.(literally, roll on their face and watch the instant death, its classic.)
– Almost a must have, it allows you to aim your rolls so that you can hit multiple people instead of just 1. Many times, there tank or a wanna be hero will jump in front of you to stop you from picking on your target, nothing says screw you better then flashing behind them and ramming your spikes deep down there carries… ahem…. Additonaly it adds what I like to call the “WTF effect”, where people loose common sense because a ninja turtle just violated them, thus they proceed to scatter instead of attacking.
– Personally I love this more then flash, it allows me to start every game with a 3-4 man gank, then teleport to the lane im suppoused to be on. This ganking effect is carried through out the entire game. It is also extremely effective for starting a team fight, often when an enemy team is pushing a lane ill teleport right ontop of the minon there attacking as a result they will gather around, and then BAM ill roll right into there face, this will either lead to 1 of 2 things, they will panic and run, or panic and chase, either way it generally winds up with atleast 1 of them dieing. They just cant resist sexy turtle bait.
early on combined with tower diving rolls this is lethal, many heroes will think there safe behind there tower with 300ish hp, however, as the kamikaze turtle of doom all you have to do is roll into them, ignite, curl and run away, and watch the rage that follows
. However, if you have a good lane partner ignite really isn’t needed and thus should be replaced by either flash or teleport.
Ok let me get this straight, you have this super awesome roll that you can chase with and for some reason you want to slow them down? Ever think of taunting them so they can’t run away? Enough said?
– Lols look ma, I can heal for 200hp while 5 people proceed to violate me.
This is actually viable early on but come late game you’ll regret having it.
admittedly its fun to roll 5,000 miles per hour, but you know whats not fun, missing because you were rolling too fast. Additionally, flash is the better combination with roll for reasons already stated.
Teleport + taunt = longer than 8 seconds, enough said.
Everything else I haven’t mentioned because it’s not aggressive enough, the other spells are coward spells. Those are for other heroes, not the kamikaze turtle of doom.
You’ll be doing a lot of ganking so the extra xp and gold help out a lot, as you will eventually slightly fall behind in levels.
There are actually a lot of rune set ups that work great with turtle, but personally I prefer anything that makes me more tanky. So I go for an all tank set up.
Armor, Personally I prefer to have a great starting advantage so I would get+1.44 armor runes, when your laned up against a dps like jax or ash it makes a HUGE difference, however the opposite holds true, so if your not up against a dps then your yellows go unnoticed for the most part.
health/armor, Again I go for the early advantage, its not much, but it can be the difference between a life and a death. In the end its probably better to get something like armor penetration.
Magic resist, this build is lacking magic resist until late game, so why not keep with the trend, this builds magic resistance per level so by level 18, you should have +24 extra magic resistance.
Powerball AKA Roll
- This attack is turtles biggest asset, it not only allows him to chase down his enemies, it allows him to escape. Far too many newbie turtles look at roll as a second escape mechasim, where it should be your first, why waste flash when you can simply roll away? The thing to remember is the longer your roll goes on, the faster you become, so whether your fleeing or initating its always good to start the roll early, leaving them with less time to dodge it.
Furthermore, when combined with ghost or flash this move becomes an unavoidable panic fest, as enemies will quickly realize a successful roll means death. JUST REMEMBER, roll is an aoe slow, thus if aimed properly you can hit an entire enemy team slowing them and dealing impressive damage as well.
This skill gives turtle an unbelievable amount of defense/magic resistance for 6 seconds. This is an amazing ability, just as long as your not an idiot. This skill has the power to save a turret from a 5 man turret dive, it also has the power to kill the idiot who uses it. Plain and simply, if you need to run away, don’t use this, it will only slow you down allowing them to get more hits off on you. The only time you should be using this skill is when the enemy team is tower diving, your 1v1ing ash or some other dps, or if your doing your job and tanking the entire enemy team.
– This ability, is by far the best ability in the game, it allows you to literally control enemies in a team fight, in other words, it lets you stop there carry from destroying your team. Your goal as rammus, should be to roll into the enemy team, find there carry, and then let the your mama insults fly, I don’t care if your entire team is attacking Alistair, don’t be an idiot and waste your taunt on someone who isn’t a threat. Find the biggest threat in the team fight, taunt them, and then proceed to roll into him, those 5 seconds he’s not attacking your team is going to be the difference between a team win, and a team loss. Additonaly as taunt forces an enemy to attack you, be sure to taunt anyone stupid enough to attack your turret, if you do, you can lead them for a little walk towards your base, roll into them as they try and escape and by that time they should be severely bruised or dead. (roughly 3-5 turret shots will land)
Tremors is an amazing aoe attack that can hit turrets. In otherwords, if at all possible start a fight near there turret, or hell, just kamikaze dive there turret, ult it, and run back and heal. At level 3, tremors does roughly 2,000 damage to all enemies near turtle over the course of 8 seconds, in otherwords you’re a threat that cannot be ignored, so be sure to use this in every team fight, and don’t start one without it. (which should be easy as it is on a very short cooldown)
You have 2 options, you can either be the kamikaze turtle of doom, maxing out powerball/taunt (+1 curl at level 3 or 7)
Or you could be the Turtling turtle of turtlevile, and max out your Curl/taunt (+1 power ball at level 1) , this build allows you to conserve mana, and laugh in ryze’s face, whats that ryze? You used all of your abilities on me? O sorry I didn’t notice.
– Assuming you have a lane partner that can hold his own, and have teleport, you should be ganking every chance you get. You should be popping out of bushes at breakneck speeds as your enemies proceed to wet themselves, while still laning enough to stay 1 or 2 levels behind your team. Ultimately if you do a good job, not only will your team have the lead on kills, they will also be 1-3 levels higher then the rest of the enemy. Just keep in mind, if you do help a lane get a double kill or just kill the only enemy there, stick around, ult there turret, and then go back to your lane, your ult will devastate turrets, thus allowing your other team members to help gank other lanes.
Additionally, remember turtle is probably the third best tower diver, his ability to tower dive and then drag an enemy away from there turret should be abused as much as possible.
– This is generally when teams start grouping up, generally follow that rule however, if you have your teleport up be sure to push a lane solo( to catch up in levels) and if a fight breaks out just teleport there, and turn the tide. People often don’t expect much when a tank teleports into a fight, and that is where your ult and other abilities will prove them wrong, DEAD wrong. Sure your late arrival may lead to 1 or 2 of your team mates dieing, but ultimatitly you will win that team fight, and should they make the mistake of trying to gank turtle, just laugh as you roll away. Additionally, since you will be all over the map, be sure to place a ward or two.
End game –
Really for the most part this is the same as mid game, the only difference is you feel more invincible and are, so take advantage of that, and be sure to start the fights at there towers, AND BE SURE, to not miss an attack other wise there tower will kill your squishys, and you don’t want that.
One more thing, keep in mind that turtle can easily KILL jax in a 1v1, the same applies to all other dps carries, your only fear should be if they have a wits end (if they have a wits end you just become one giant punching bag).
Well that concludes my guide, in retrospect, i should of wrote it during hell week >.>